|This mysterious looking green stuff is actually the best food ever.|
- 6 servings of your choice of pasta
- 2 medium avocados (peeled and seeded)
- 1 1/2 cups spinach
- 1 1/2 cups arugula
- 1 packed cup of basil leaves
- 3 tablespoons of lime juice
- 2 garlic cloves or 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- Put your pot of water for the pasta on the stove. This will give your water plenty of time to boil, and it will be boiling by the time you finish making the pesto.
- Throw everything but the pasta into your food processor. I usually start with the avocados, grind those up, then put in the arugula and spinach, grind those up, and then put everything else in the food processor.
- Take your magical pesto out of the food processor and put it in a small bowl. Then put the sauce in the fridge.
- Cook your pasta according to the package.
- Strain your pasta.
- Put half of the pesto in the bottom of the bowl, put the pasta in the bowl, then put the rest of the sauce on top of the pasta, and then mix it up. (My mom taught me the half on bottom, half on top trick. It makes it 1000 times easier to mix the pasta sauce.)
- Eat and revel in the taste of the most delicious pasta* you have ever made and/or eaten.
|Extra step: feed some of the leftover veggies to your favorite herbivore.|
So this is pretty much my favorite recipe of all time because it includes my favorite fruit, the avocado; it takes minimal effort to make (I'm all about being lazy;) it takes maybe 20 minutes at the most; and it is in the rare healthy and delicious category of food. And technically the sauce has no carbs... (The pasta is a whole different story.)
Moral of the Story: Yum.
* This is an obviously unbiased statement and if you think this is untrue, you may need to seek help.
And the original recipe came from here.