Tuesday, June 21, 2016

I Feel Personally Victimized by Food

On the way home, I was thinking about Waffle House and how it ruined my BG the one time I ate there, and then I thought about all of the restaurants and foods that seem to always wreak havoc on my blood sugar. So I bring you my definitive list of places and foods I can't eat (at).
--

Movie Theaters
Every single time I go to a movie theater, my blood sugar is high or it goes up really quickly. I blame the butter-filled tub of popcorn I enjoy eating and the strange movie theater carpets. I should also probably cover my popcorn before I eat it, not in the middle of the movie when I suddenly realize that I've forgotten to cover it.

Waffle House
I already don't like Waffle House because it's just kind of gross in there, but the following story definitely adds to my distaste for the place. The morning before my AP Macroeconomics exam, my class met up at a Waffle House near to school to eat and chat before the exam. I got a waffle and some eggs and of course put syrup on my waffle. Needless to say, my blood sugar went up to the 300's (even though I covered my breakfast) and stayed there until their convenient drop to the 100's right as the exam ended. My site may have also been bad, but I'm not 100% positive. Thanks Waffle House.

Pizza
No one likes pizza's strange effects on blood sugar. My sister told me that on her first day of camp this summer, pizza was served and all of the counselors and clinicians were not exactly happy because a couple hundred diabetic campers were about to have some weird blood sugars. I'm pretty sure way too much of the camp's supply of insulin was used that night. And I'm also pretty sure that I use up way too much of my own insulin on pizza night as well.

A picture from one of my many Starbucks runs. Also featuring the keys that are currently lost.
Frappuccinos
This is the most tragic item of all on my list. If you know me, you know that I love Starbucks and frappuccinos, so when my dad mentioned to me that I should consider putting them on my banned food list because I always complain about being really high hours after drinking them, I was not very happy. I'm still mourning it to this day. Now I enjoy Iced Chai Tea Lattes and Strawberry Açaí Refreshers with coconut milk to make sure I get my Starbucks fix.

Ice Cream
After years of experimenting with combo boluses, I've finally figured out how to bolus for ice cream. (I do a 60:40 combo bolus over 1 hour, but of course YDMV.) But before approximately a month ago, I would cover my ice cream and then go low an hour later. Every single time. (Who knew ice cream could actually lower blood sugar. Maybe I should eat it more when my A1C needs to go down...) My sister also complained about how that wasn't really a problem, but it stopped me from eating ice cream. And does a teenage girl deserve to be deprived of her ice cream? I think not.

Instant Oatmeal
This super easy to make version of oatmeal is not so easy to deal with when it comes to my blood sugars. It causes a major spike and then a huge drop all within a few hours after breakfast. The instant oatmeal phenomenon also affects my sister, and I'm pretty sure she's more hurt about it than I am.

--

What is one of the foods/ restaurants on your banned list? Or do you have any bolusing suggestions for frappuccinos? (Because I really miss them. #addict)

4 comments:

  1. I love oatmeal and yet, it well... does not love me.


    I referred your blog to the TUDiabetes.org blog page for the week of June 20, 2016.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and my sister can definitely bond over your love/hate relationship with oatmeal haha

      Delete
  2. I had to explain to my husband why I was so amused by the title of this post....hahahaa...one of the best titles I've seen.

    I too am a popcorn victim. Very, very, very sadly I have had to stop eating it. I'm either low or so super duper high that my meter won't show a number after eating just a single kernel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked the title! And popcorn, sadly, is the worst.

      Delete

Enough from me, I want to hear from you!