Thursday, November 13, 2014

Updates

What am I even supposed to type here? It's National Diabetes Awareness Month and two days (as a type, one day now) away from International Diabetes Day and I'm just not feeling it. Yep. The one month that I'm supposed to be advocating about my lovely BFF diabetes and I just don't feel like it. I've seen a lot of people saying they are having advocacy burnout and I thing I am too. And that's completely fine. I don't feel like I have to be running around and always talking about diabetes and you shouldn't feel like you have to either.

I think advocacy is absolutely necessary for any cause that needs to see change and improvements; diabetes and the stigma, technology, and research surrounding it definitely need change. But it's still okay to take a break sometimes. And so that's where I am right now. I've been focusing on other things going on in my life because my life isn't only about diabetes. That reminds me of something.

I absolutely hate this quote from The Fault in our Stars:
Augustus Waters: What's your story?
Hazel Grace Lancaster: I was diagnosed when I was 13...
Augustus Waters: No no no, your real story.
Mostly because it implies that someone's disease/ chronic illness isn't really a part of their life. Because of course it is. My diabetes and I have been stuck together like glue since I was 5 1/2 and it has contributed to so many experiences that have shaped me into who I am today. Camp Kudzu, AKA one of the best places I have ever been, is a positive that diabetes introduced me to. So is the whole DOC. I have no clue who I would be today without any of you. So why is it that when people want to know about someone with some sort of illness, they don't want to know about this integral part of his or her life? It just doesn't make sense. I've gone off on a huge tangent, so I think I'll step off of my soapbox now...

This is all I talk about for the rest of my blog post #sorrynotsorry // via People Too
What on earth should I talk about now? There isn't anything exciting going on in my life, diabetes-wise. I haven't gotten the new slimmer sensor from Dexcom or the new Diasend or the new software for my CGM yet. I do have other stuff going on, so I might as well talk about it. I have my audition for All State Chorus this Saturday and apparently I've been practicing my solo in the wrong key for the past three months; that's okay, though, because I have it memorized, so it is fairly simple to sing the same intervals between notes just within a different set of notes. I'm really excited for my audition and hoping I get in because I absolutely adored All State when I went in 8th grade.

And speaking of chorus, our Christmas songs are all fantastic and I am obsessed with singing Christmas music. My favorite piece we are singing in Chamber is O Magnum Mysterium; it is gorgeous and dark and amazing! (Can you tell that I might like it?) In my church choir, my favorites are Still, Still, Still, (seriously this is SO beautiful) Night of Silence. (we aren't doing this exact arrangement, but it's close and still beautiful) and O Come, O Come, Emmanuel. (this arrangement is perfect) I know it isn't even the day after Thanksgiving yet and I'm all for no Christmas anything until after Thanksgiving, but choirs start singing your favorite carols long before you even think about them, (aka September and October) so I thought I should share them with you!

I have to drink tons of water, rest my voice, (which no one is complaining about because I talk all the time) and get plenty of sleep on Friday, so my voice is prepared for my audition on Saturday. I also have to drink tea Saturday morning, take a hot as possible shower, and drink even more water to keep my vocal chords and folds ready to sing my audition solo.

Moral of the Story: Chorus has my heart, obviously.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Enough from me, I want to hear from you!