Monday, April 14, 2014

#dayofdiabetes 2014

This year, I decided to participate in #dayofdiabetes. This is a social media movement where on one day every year, diabetics on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr, and any other social media platform share everything they think about or do because of diabetes. It was created to show the world that even though diabetes seems like an invisible illness that is rather "easy" to control, it is actually all consuming of your thoughts and actions. #dayofdiabetes let's the world see how much effort it takes to be a diabetic for just one day. It also shows people (including the participants) how a single chronic illness can differently affect every person that has it. (Sorry if that sentence sounds really weird. My blood sugar is in the 400's and wording things when I'm high is not my strong suit.) So here is what I tweeted, retweeted, and could relate to on this year's #dayofdiabetes.


That's 24 tweets from me alone, and I didn't even start until around 11:30ish! I'm sure I could have tweeted a lot more if I had wanted to. And that was a good day. My bad days would have had a lot more tweets and pictures to go along with them. I had a lot of fun participating in this and I also got to explain the hashtag to a few people at my school that asked about it, so it was cool to know that non-diabetic people were also interested in what was happening on Thursday. I'd say it was a success since the goal of the movement was reached- to educate people on what being a diabetic for a single day is like.

Moral of the Story: In the immortal words of Kim when talking about how #dayofdiabetes was supposed to be a simple feat, ""Simple". Ha! Ha ha hahahahahahahapioenaoiepnfdklnaf;ioehaopifehoi;ah."

Did you participate in #dayofdiabetes? What did you think about it?

1 comment:

  1. "Immortal words." Thank you for the laugh. :)

    I'm so glad you participated!

    ReplyDelete

Enough from me, I want to hear from you!