Sunday, July 20, 2014

I Wear my Pump on my Hip... and my CGM

I am loving the #showmeyourpump pictures on twitter this week. If you've been living under a rock, this fantastic and empowering hashtag for diabetics everywhere started because of this year's winner of Miss Idaho 2014. What does some beauty pageant have to do with pumps or even diabetes? Well, Miss Idaho, Sierra Sandison is a type 1 diabetic that walked down the stage of the pageant in a bikini while wearing her pump! (It's a t:slim, to be exact!)  On her Instagram post, she talked about how it is, "terrifying walking out on stage in a swimsuit, let alone attached to a medical device. My message to everyone, diabetic or not, is that we all have something that doesn't "measure up" to the beauty standards set by the media--and that is okay! It does not make you any less beautiful." Her message was amazing and she encouraged diabetics to post a picture of themselves with their pump, insulin pens, shots, or any other medical device they use because they are diabetic. After she posted this, the DOC quickly saw her photo and her story and suddenly thousands of people have been sharing pictures of themselves with their pumps. It's amazing to see everyone so proud of their small devices that keep them alive, as they should be! After all, if you have something that keeps you alive, you should be proud to show it off- it keeps you alive!

YAY FOR SHOWING PUMPS
Yay so I'm just really excited about #showmeyourpump because I love seeing everyone so proud of their pumps. Especially people my age, since most of the other teen diabetics I know hide their pumps from the public and try to avoid being see with it on at all costs. AHH I'M JUST REALLY EXCITED YAY

Okay, so you've read about the pump portion of my post, so let's move on to the other, almost-as-important device in the title of my post: my CGM. So I've decided that I am going to try putting my CGM on my hip because it's as perfectly good to use as any other site I've used for my CGM. I'll report back to you with how it goes, so we can determine in a TOTALLY scientific way if this is a good site.

Moral of the Story: PUMPS ARE COOL

No comments:

Post a Comment

Enough from me, I want to hear from you!