Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Just stop talking already and listen.

It really bothers me when people make assumptions about diabetes, so here is a list of things, compiled by yours truly, of things I want to tell everyone that isn't diabetic:
  1. When I say, "I'm high." I am talking about my blood sugar, not about taking drugs. (I mean, I only take insulin and Synthroid; and neither of those are narcotics.)
  2. That thing attached to my side does not have Mario Kart on it, it is an insulin pump, not a Game Boy. They look very different.
  3. I'm not going to leave the table to test my blood if you have been sitting by me at lunch the whole school year. (If you haven't sat by me before, I will.)
  4. Yes, I can eat sugar.
  5. No, my pump is not from the 80's; the screen is beat up, but I swear it was brand new technology four years ago in November.
  6. Those little white tabs I am eating are called glucose tabs, and once again (see number 1), are not narcotics; they are tablets made of sugar. And no, you cannot have one!
It was new four years ago, I swear!
Now here are some things that every diabetic should know:
  1. Diabetes isn't your entire life; you can have other hobbies! (I knit and have a knitting blog here: The Knitting Fish.)
  2. Twitter is a wonderful place to chat about your diabetes. You can join many diabetics in #DSMA chats on Wednesday nights ant 9 PM.
  3. Blogging is fun to do, but if it just isn't your thing, you don't have to! *GASP, I SAID YOU DON"T HAVE TO BLOG.*
  4. Always be prepared for Endocrinologist visits. Have your questions and concerns for your endo written on paper or on blog.
  5. Always have fun, and don't let diabetes hold you back.
To quote the great Kelly Kunik of Diabetesaliciousness
My greatest weakness (my broken pancreas) has become my greatest strength - and for that I am grateful.
 So make your strength, my diabetic friends.

PS: Non diabetics- use some time to educate your pancreas, so that something from my first list will not have to be told to you, again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Enough from me, I want to hear from you!