Friday, February 8, 2013

I Tried

Tons of people in the DOC have been wearing their Dexcoms for more than the FDA-approved week, so I decided to try it out.

I mentally prepared by thinking, "Now here's what you do Sarah, just press the stop sensor button, then press the start sensor button. That won't be hard, will it?" Then I did just that. I had an ominous feeling about the whole thing, but I ignored it. I figured that if a bazillion other people did it, so can I. Well, I was wrong.

I waited the two long hours to calibrate the sensor, I tested my blood sugar twice, then went to bed. I woke up at 6:00 like I was supposed to, but I accidentally fell back asleep. (I thought I was just taking a 2 minute nap, I guess not...) I woke back up at 6:44, extremely angry because I had meant to actually get out of bed at 6:05; I had ruined my morning schedule. I got up, picked up my CGM then saw four hours of no readings. "Great, just great," I thought. I got dressed, grabbed a new sensor, and quickly changed it. I was about to leave my room, then I picked up my CGM. It said. "Sensor Failure." (REALLY, I NEVER WOULD HAVE GUESSED THAT ONE.)


I also had to grab an extra pump site because I needed to change and I thought I would change it between that 6:05- 6:44 range. Obviously that didn't happen. I changed my site in the car on the way to school, so I could only put it on my stomach about an inch away from where it was before. My CGM was also on the other side of my stomach, so my site and sensor kept bumping into the sides of tables. (I'm short, okay...)

Briefly, my sensor thought I was 324, so I went inside to check my blood sugar, and it was 199. I quickly put my blood sugar in and the sensor has been working ever since.

Moral of the Story: I should really stick to the FDA's guidelines.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Enough from me, I want to hear from you!